Thursday, November 10, 2011

Mountain Dance




Come Fairies, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame!
 -William Butler Yeats
JBL


Sometimes the mundane repetitive events of life make me yearn for an escape. It was a windy day today and I had moments of wishing that I could be carried away on the wind and softly dropped on a mountain top. The weariness that has settled in my bones is beginning to take a toll on my thoughts. It has been a while since I have danced on the mountains like a flame. Even in my thoughts. 


    I listened to the sweet laughter of my young students this morning and was reminded of the research that found that children laugh an average of 100 times a day! And adults? Five or six times a day. And that is on a good day!  So what is about children that they can find so much that is funny in one day? And why are grown-ups so serious? Do we need to get up on that mountain more often? Why can't we allow ourselves more joyful moments?
Come fairies! I need a dance on that mountain top!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this reminder...I spent the day laughing it up with Nate. A perfect day. Let's find a mountain top to dance on soon!

    ReplyDelete