Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Enough

"I pray you have enough sun to keep your attitude bright no matter how grey the day may appear. I pray you enough rain to appreciate the sun even more. I pray you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive and everlasting. I pray you enough pain so that even the smallest of joys in life appear even bigger. I  pray you enough gain to satisfy your wanting. I pray you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess. I pray you enough hellos to get you through to the final good-bye."-Author unknown

A friend sent this little poem in a letter and it got me thinking about the word enough. 
Last year, when we were in between jobs, this little tree was all that we had for Christmas. We took it to the beach and the wind blew away the few ornaments we had placed on the tree. What was left was enough. It was enough to remind us how very fortunate we were to have this little tree, a sunny (but windy) day, and each other.

At this time of year, as we approach Thanksgiving, it is easy to lose sight of what exactly is enough. Time is one of the those things we never seem to have enough of. Even more so for some of us, there never seems to be enough money. We never have enough time with family and friends. But I want to remember that I do have enough. I have all that I need and even when I don't always have all that I want or wish for, I do have enough. So, this Thanksgiving, I am giving thanks for having enough.  

No comments:

Post a Comment