Thursday, November 24, 2011

Christmas Sewing




The day after Thanksgiving was always my sewing day. No Black Friday frenzied shopping for me, I would pull out all my accumulated fabric, patterns, trims and buttons. Then I would think about who I wanted a gift for and start pairing fabrics and ideas. A large piece of heavy denim would become a log carrier for the in-laws. Muslin would become landscape pillows for close friends, and printed cottons would become dresses for my daughter. It was a time before electronics and when homemade gifts were appreciated and cherished. 
    




                                                                          I found this photo in an old sewing book and it made me laugh. I hope my creations were not as tacky as this. I'd like to think they were a bit more artistic or inventive. I would cover the floor and every available surface with fabric and then go crazy-sometimes late into the night. I haven't done that for years, but I miss the joy of creating. Maybe after the hoopla of Black Friday dies down, I will find a local small fabric store and seek inspiration. But I promise I wont buy large quantities of plaid and denim.   

No comments:

Post a Comment