Monday, May 14, 2012

Lilacs!

I opened the large central window of my office room to its full on the fine early May morning. Then I stood for a few moments, breathing in the soft, warm air that was charged with the scent of white lilacs below."
-Angus Wilson

It is time now for me to enjoy my lilacs!
Such a short, sweet time when they are in bloom, and this year with the crazy weather, I wasn't sure when they would be ready. But, alas! They were ready for cutting on Mother's Day! So, I woke up early and went out to check on them and it made me so happy to bring them in to my table. The scent of lilacs is like nothing else!   
I am a simple girl.
 Easy to make blissfully happy
 with a bouquet of lilacs!
 I smile at the very thought of them,
and wait for them to bloom like kids wait for Christmas!
 I remember one year I returned to
a summer beach cottage rental to find
vases filled with lilacs in every room!
The aroma was amazing!
It was the welcome home gift from my sister,
 and no trinket from Tiffanys
 would have brought
the same joy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment