Thursday, May 3, 2012

Grateful Grandmother



Fourteen years ago today, this boy in the tree made me a grandmother. I was smitten with him the first time I saw him. He was one month old-aware, alert, waving his little fist in the air and sleeping with one eye open.

As a young child, he had a solid sense of self-sure of who he was. When a grandfather who, in frustration at glass breaking, called him an idiot, this toddler stood up to his grandfather, hands on hips and said clearly "I am not an idiot! I am just a little boy who made a mistake!" Whew! The repentant grandfather knew then that he was not dealing with an ordinary boy. 

This child, young boy, and now young man has faced obstacles that few other boys have. And yet, he is thoughtful, intelligent, and determined to always do his best. He is a loving older brother, a gentle son, and a precious grandson. I am grateful to be related to him, thankful for all that he has taught me, and today I wish him all good things in life!   

No comments:

Post a Comment