Friday, January 13, 2012

Superstition


"Superstition is foolish, childish, primitive and irrational - but how much does it cost you to knock on wood?"-Judith Viorst 

Today is Friday the thirteenth and though I rarely give superstition my attention, for whatever reason, today was funky. Not really bad luck kind of funky, but somehow, out of sorts funky. On the verge of tears all day funky. Overly sad and sensitive funky.

Unrest happens to all of us. Today it happened to me in waves, and as the Santa Ana winds blew the trees and kept the temps well into the 80s all day, something felt off. Like maybe I am not where I need to be or doing what I should be doing. It is January
and my friends in Maine are shoveling and dealing with icy rain and cold, biting air. I feel a bit spoiled and though I don't miss all that winter, I feel like I am cheating by not being there scraping snow from my driveway.  But it is more than a little homesickness. Little nudges to move in a different direction come from unrest all the time. And sometimes, it is a good idea to pay attention.

So, I will knock on wood that nothing too drastic will come of all these funky feelings. I will shake it off for now and listen carefully to that still small voice and take the new day as it comes tomorrow-hopefully finding the clues to head in the right direction.    

No comments:

Post a Comment