Monday, January 16, 2012

Solitude

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
-Henry David Thoreau
The quiet lake settles down and is a mirror
The small fish swims into my hand without
the lure of bait.
I am not looking to catch a fish, but here it is small and caught anyway.
The solitude is enough. The gentle slapping of water on shore and the diamond water beckons for a final swim of the day.
I skip the tentative toe testing and dive in. Velvet blackness is warm and cool at once.
I let the fish go and he swam happily away. My back to the lake, sun setting, dripping water, shivering. Crunching rocks break the silence.    


1 comment:

  1. Oh, that poem (and the artwork!) are just beautiful. Thank you for sharing such loveliness.

    ReplyDelete