Sunday, January 8, 2012

Living in the Moment


"Mindfulness is the aware, balanced acceptance of the present experience. It isn't more complicated that that. It is opening to or recieving the present moment, pleasant or unpleasant, just as it is, without either clinging to it or rejecting it."
- Sylvia Boorstein

For some reason, the sun setting on a Sunday always makes me feel a bit sad. The weekend is over and work begins anew in the morning. So, I am trying to learn to live in the moment like children do. It is not so easy to enjoy the Sunday evening restlessnes, sadness, or whatever it is.
Tonight there was one visible planet- shining bright like it always has, but the sky was more ordinary than most end of the sunset skies. The darkness came quickly and the blacks and indigos took the place of the soft blues without much fanfare. The one bright star was little comfort this evening. I am working on not wanting time to go by faster or wishing that time would slow down a bit. 
Living in the moment takes some practice because for me it is much easier to daydream or ponder life than to just embrace each moment joyfully. Sunday night is for the time I prepare for the coming week and so I have a bunch of chores to do. The kind of chores that are better when you do them mindlessly.
So my experiment will be to prepare for the week with an openness I usually reserve for creative projects, not chores. I will try not to allow my thoughts to wander, but then again, maybe I will live in the moment tomorrow....   

No comments:

Post a Comment