Sunday, December 4, 2011

Abundance

"Not what we have but what we enjoy, that constitutes abundance."-Epicurus

                                                                                                                                                                                              A short walk and there is a lovely bird of paradise! Grapefruit in abundance, branches bending from the weight. I live in a place that is not my home. i am a visitor here, my real home thousands of miles away. A whole country away actually. There are deserts and mountains, huge rivers, plains, and large cities between me and my home. But I am learning to be content. I take a walk for a very short distance and I find abundance. 
It is coming on Christmas and people are half-heartedly putting up lights in the neighborhood, The air is cool but not cold like it is at my home. It is warm during the days which makes me feel better than when it stays cold all day. Fruit trees are laden and heavy with citrus. Though it is winter, flowers are still in bloom. So even with the neighbor's lights, it doesn't really feel like Christmas. But the abundant beauty makes me feel the Christmas Spirit. In spite of the sad state of our economy, there is a feeling of expectation. A hope that things will get better. A willingness to put up lights and trees and to celebrate a little. Seasons come and seasons go, but each one has its own special beauty. Abundance is all around in spite of poverty. I am thankful that the walk is short to find it.  




No comments:

Post a Comment