Sunday, October 23, 2011

Wishing



I like to make a wish when I look at the sky. Shooting stars are best for wishes, but bright stars work well too. I have never kept track of my wishes or made a note of which ones have come true, but I distinctly remember a time in my life when I had been feeling homesick for Maine. Circumstances made the journey back a necessity and not a real choice. When I told a friend, his response was "Be careful what you wish for!"

So, does making a wish mean that it will come true? I guess it depends how much is actually invested in the wish! How much self-fulfilled prophecy is involved in a wish? Is a wish really an unspoken goal?  I know I will always wish I were smarter or prettier, or richer, or healthier, or funnier, or kinder, but I also wish I could make other people's wishes come true. People on the verge of big changes or at low places need their wishes and prayers to come true -at least occasionally. My wish is that all your most important wishes come true.    

No comments:

Post a Comment