Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Perfectionism

"Faultily, faultless, icily regular, splendidly null. dead perfectionism, no more."                                             -Alfred Tennyson (1809-1892)      



"The intellect of man is forced to choose-perfection of the life or of the work, and if it take the second, it must refuse a heavenly mansion, raging in the dark."
-William Butler Yeats (1865-1939)
I had an interesting debate with a friend about perfectionism. Her opinion in a nutshell is that doing imperfect work is not work worth doing. As for me, I love the process of creating. I don't require " oohs and aaahs" when my friends see my creations. But it got me thinking about what perfectionism is. I would much prefer that my life as a whole was at the very least perfectly satisfying, even if it was not perfect. My work will always need improvement, and hopefully as i grow, I will see improvement. But for now, I will embrace the process and be pleasantly surprised when something perfectly wonderful emerges.

No comments:

Post a Comment