Saturday, March 31, 2012

Much-ness!

"Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you, and in this materialistic age a great many of us are possessed by our possessions."
                                                                                                     -Peace Pilgrim

I was looking over all the stuff that has somehow accumulated this year
 and the word-much-ness came to my thoughts. It is a funny word- and I am
 not even sure if it is a word, but it must be because I heard it in a sermon
 last night. 
It was used in reference to a few passages about becoming overwhelmed.
We are all doing too much these days. We satisfy obligations, meet expectations
from others, as well as trying to live up to our own expectations for ourselves.
The point of the passages-(Exodus 18:13-18 and Acts 6:1-2) is that
sometimes we try to do it all-live each role-mother, daughter, friend,
teacher, employee, etc. perfectly -and we stretch ourselves so thin that we become ineffective. Then we wonder why we get overwhelmed!
My reference to the word much-ness was about feeling
overwhelmed too, but in a way that had to do with too much stuff!
Most of my accumulation can be given freely to others, but there is
weird stuff that no one would want.
 So the stuff will get sorted into piles for Goodwill, trash, and boxes for shipping "home". And then once it has traveled the length of the country, it will get sorted again and tossed or given away or put into a drawer somewhere. 
So what is about our STUFF that makes it so hard to get rid of?? People with storage units sometimes go years without ever seeing their stuff, but continue to make monthly payments so that they can still own their stuff even though it is costing them more to keep it than it did to buy it! Crazy how much control stuff can have over a person!
I would love to get to the place that I delete more than I accumulate. That my material possessions just fall away, and I am left with only life's essentials.
"Wealth consists not in having great possessions, but in having few wants." -Epictetus
    

No comments:

Post a Comment