Saturday, March 17, 2012

Ireland!




When  the plane landed in Shannon
as the sun was coming up over all that lovely Emeraldness
everywhere as far as you could see, glistening in those first few rays of sunshine, and the flight attendant said "Welcome to Ireland" in Gaelic,
 tears filled my eyes
and I knew I was home at last.
 My ancestors knew this land as their own, but I was celebrating
 my fiftieth birthday with this first trip.
I felt the magic at once and it hasn't left me since.
The music of speech caught my imagination , the landscape recognized me, and even the sheep came running down a hill all ba--aaaaing greetings in sheep-brogue. Everything felt familiar although I was a stranger and mere observer.
The sea and the hills and the joy in voices of the children still call me home.   



No comments:

Post a Comment