Monday, November 26, 2012

It's beginning to look a lot...

I am a guest in my sister's home this winter. So, I had to be selective about what I brought with me. I have so much Christmas accumulation from many years of creating and gifting, so when I thought about what I really wanted for the holidays, I chose handmade gifts  from my children. Molly made this precious Nativity crayon drawing when she was six years old. She carefully poked holes in the sky with a tiny pin so that when it is put in a window, it looks like stars in the sky. It is one of my most prized possessions. One I would rescue from a burning house. So it is now in my guest room window for me to look at all  through this holiday season.

And then there is this Christmas poem written by Samuel  in second grade.
 It says:
 A Cinquain
Jesus  
Angels, God
Loving, Hugging, Praying
Like a Spirit Lover.

This too, irreplaceable, written in a child's scrawl with all the wisdom of a sage.










And then there is this simple message, also made by Sam, with his grandfather's help from hand sanded blocks of wood. Love its simplicity!











And finally, a wee Christmas Tree and Elf made of leather to complete my Christmas decor!

Having to pare down to the most basic, most important, most treasured has been lovely! I missed out on Black Friday and will bow out on Cyber Monday today. I will enjoy sewing a few simple gifts and focus instead on the real meaning of Christmas- one I think my children knew best and remind me perfectly in these small treasures!  

No comments:

Post a Comment