Saturday, August 11, 2012

 
 
 
 
"If instead of a gem, or even a flower, we should cast the gift of a loving thought into the heart of a friend, that would be giving as the angels give."-George MacDonald
 
 
Lately I have been thinking about the people in my life, how thankful I am for each of them, reading some of my old George MacDonald books, and finding joy in unexpected places.
It has been a different summer than last year, busier, and without as many opportunities to get alone and lost in my thoughts. But the precious moments I have had to find solitude, I am happy to send loving thoughts on to the friends who have made me laugh, listened patiently to my stories, fed me good food, and encouraged me when I was overwhelmed. Rather than just randomly say a silent prayer for their well-being, or to send out an all-inclusive thank you to friends who read this, i want to begin a new ritual. Beginning next week, I will "real mail" a card or letter to the friend who comes into my mind that day. It is a good way to let them know just how important their presence is in my life. It is not enough to just think the good thoughts, but as an act- a casting of the gift of loving thoughts. Thanks George, for the good advice!  

1 comment:

  1. As a recipient of one such card, thank you! It was such a joy to receive your beautiful hand made card, with such loving words inside. I am so blessed beyond reason to have people like you in my life, Jeanne. Thank you for your care. I miss you so much but the changing of the weather (even out here in SoCal) is quietly reminding me it's almost that time of year again when Jeanne comes back...Nate talks of you constantly. We miss you! Hope to see you sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete